I am missing home and I am missing home made food. As I was going through several food blogs, I suddenly remembered a teekhi tomato chutney that my mother used to prepare. It goes best with aloo-paratha or sattu-paratha (litti), but you can also have it with dal-chawal.
Here’s the recipe if you would like to try at home (do try it in winters as your fridge is full of tomatoes bought at super-cheap rates). It won’t take more than 10 minutes for the entire preparation.
- 4-5 tomatoes (bigger size), enough for 3 people
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies, again finely chopped (amount of chillies depends on your capacity)
- Coriander leaves finely chopped.
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of mustard oil (not a problem if you don’t have mustard oil. You can use any other vegetable oil too)
- Pinch of salt to taste
Method of preparation:
- Wash the tomatoes first (if you are buying it at the local market, you will understand why that’s important)
- If you are using a microwave oven, place the tomatoes in a microwave safe bowl, big enough to hold all tomatoes. Cover it with a lid as tomatoes explode, dirtying the sides of the microwave oven. It may be ready in 3 minutes. Check if the insides are soft.
- If you are using a gas stove, place the tomatoes on a tava. The tomatoes will ooze water. When it softens remove it from the stove.
- Now put the softened tomatoes in a mixer and grind it into a fine paste. No need to add water as tomatoes already ooze water. Ma would generally use her hands here. But it would leave small lumps. By grinding it in a mixer-grinder you have a puree-like paste. Also you don’t get your hands dirty 🙂
- To the paste that we got from the step above, add the finely chopped onion, chillies and coriander leaves. Add salt to taste. Mix it well.
- Take a tadka pan. Add the mustard oil and mustard seeds. Put it on the gas stove. Once you get the popping sound from the mustard seeds, add it to your tomato paste.
- Close it with a lid so that the aroma stays until you have served it.
Try it at home today. Bet you will not be disappointed. Please tell in comments how you liked this recipe.